The Island of Cres is positioned on the north of the Croatian coast.
The island is the second-largest and the second-longest island in the Adriatic. It is 66.5 km long. The northern part of the island is hilly (up to 648 m) and it descends towards the south. The coastline is 248 km long, and it includes beautiful pebbly beaches suitable for swimming, sunbathing, diving… In the heart of the island a fresh-water lake subsists.
Cres is surrounded by a mountainous frame of land and sea. For that reason it benefits from a pleasing Mediterranean climate with continental influences. The average yearly temperature is 14.4 °C. Summers are hot and mainly dry, whereas the summer heat is alleviated by the landward breeze. The sea temperature reaches 25 °C.
You can reach Cres by following means of transport:
- by car,
- for more information, see:
- by airplane,
- the nearest airports are on the nearby islands:
- Rijeka airport, on the island of Krk, roughly 35 km from Cres (Valbiska - Merag ferry line connects islands of Cres and Krk),
- Lošinj airport, on the island of Lošinj, roughly 50 km from Cres (Lošinj and Cres are connected by a bridge);
- by ship,
- ship line Rijeka – Cres operates 5 times per week, once a day.
- the bank is open during the day, in addition several cash machines are available 24 hours a day,
- there are as well petrol stations, post office, police station…
- within the framework of healthcare, Cres has a dispensary closely connected to Rijeka and Zagreb,
- the town has a well equipped pharmacy.
- schools of diving, sailing and tennis,
- excursions to other sites and beaches on the island with yachts, boats or by car,
- hiking, cycling,
- one can rent a yacht in the fine Cres marina,
- additionally, we would like to call attention to the renovated Cres Museum, as well as the classical music concerts at Musical Evenings of Lubenice and Musical Evenings of Osor.